Monday, November 29, 2010

I'm Grateful for you all

Bonjour Tout le monde!
Je vous aime beaucoup et je suis vraiment reconnaissant pour tout ce que vous m'apportez! Je ne sais pas pourquoi, mais je me suis senti comme si c'etait nécessaire de vous dire ça en francais.


(TRANSLATION: Hello everybody! I love you very much and I am really recognizing for all that you bring me! I do not know why, but I felt as if it was necessary to you say that in french)

I realized this week that I don't know how to speak english anymore. I have spoken only in french for almost 1 month. Before when I was with Elder Magnan I spoke english for at least 2 hours out of the day, and once a week I spoke english with the Kersey Family. I still speak english with the Kerseys once a week for an hour and a half (ps pictures included are Thanksgiving with the Kersey Family). But aside from that I don't speak english. This week we were in the road and we stopped to talk to someone and he didn't speak french. He was german, and Elder Sautron asked him if he spoke english, the man said yes and then Elder Sautron said, "my companion speaks english" he then turned to me, I tried to speak, but I've never been a missionary in english, the words for a contact and the restoration and the gospel were not in my brain, I know them but I haven't put them into a sentence for 5 months!! I tried to talk to the man and he understood but he looked at me like I didn't know what I was doing. It was a short contact, but I struggled for 30 seconds and then he told us he had to catch a train, It was really funny. Elder Sautron and I laughed for about 5 minutes about how awkward the contact was. I'm going to practice and I hope that I'll be able to communicate with you at Christmas.


This week I ate Thanksgiving with the Kerseys, It was great! Straight up fantastic! The ward was really nice too. I had about 5 families talk to me during the week and last sunday asking me if I was going to eat with the members for Thanksgiving, the holiday doesn't exist at all in France but all the members knew that the Elders needed to be fed on the 4th Thursday of November, It was really kind of the Kerseys to prepare so much for us. We ate Turkey, Chicken, Stuffing, Pie, Brussel sprouts, Mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, non-alcholic champange, Gravy, Turn-ups and Repeat. They just kept putting food on our plates! I had prepared myself and I didn't have a big lunch, just Bread and Cheese...and the cheese was cold :)..loft. Needless to say, I was stuffed and completely dilighted, I think that I was eating just as you were starting the cheese ball and all the Thanksgiving traditions.


As far as missionary work goes, this week was a little rough. No worries, when I say a little rough, it is never depressing. We laugh for most of the day, and just walk and talk amongest ourselves and with people on the road. It was just a little tough because our amis' aren't all progressing and we had planned to have 6 people at church, and we had 1. Sunday makes it or breaks it, we prepare all weak to get people to church and to follow our commitments and sometimes it is awesome, like the week with Carlos, and sometimes it just falls through.


Little Story. This week we were on the same street as the church and I saw a lady do a double take at the church and look at the sign. Busted! I knew she was somewhat interested, I started the contact. "Hi! Do you want a tour of the church!?" she said ok and we showed her around, she asked "Where are the statues and the crosses?" I told her that there wasn't any, and then shared a 2 minutes explination of Joe-sef Smis (Joesph Smith with a french accent), she told us that we could pass by her house, but the adress seem fake. We passed by her house last night and sure enough it was a fake address and in fact it was a jewish family that told me that the messiah was coming and that I was going to suffer, I told them that he already came :) Needless to say they weren't super interested and in a last effort to make us leave the man said "the lady accross the street is interested talk with her. He wasn't serious at all and he closed the door. Elder Sautron turned to walk away and I turned around to the door across the street. Elder Sautron asked me what I was doing, and I told him that were were going to follow this path, of people until there was really no body. We then rang the bell of the other house, it was a old german lady, she told us that she loved Jesus and the truth wasn't on the earth anymore, we then told her that it was restored, We have an appointment tonight with her, we are going to follow it and I feel good about it, even if she is not interested, we are on the path of somebody.

I hope that is finds you well and that everyone had a great Turkey Day!
LLLLOVE Elder Smis





No comments:

Post a Comment